Youth Welsh Cup Semi-Final. Rumney vs Crymych

March 30, 2017

On Saturday 25th March 2017 Rumney RFC and Crymych RFC’s youth teams faced off in the semi-final of the Welsh Cup at Loughor rugby club. Both teams had been doing well in their respective leagues and the occasion looked like it was going to be a meaty affair. 

In the build up to the game you could sense that both teams were up for it and the tension pre-match could be cut with a knife. Rumney RFC looked to be the under dogs of the day as they were missing a few key players through injury and they were also missing their captain, Hugo Souto, who was away with Spain’s Under 20’s side.

After a minutes silence Rumney got the game under way, standing on the Rumney side line you could sense how much the Rumney boys wanted the win, and this was matched with the first big hit of the game coming straight from the kick off from Rumney’s Jack Magor. Crymych also looked up for it, but after a few phases they were penalised by the officials for holding onto the ball after a brilliant turnover from captain of the day Lewis Hill, which was then slotted over calmly by Rumney’s fly half Jake Hillman.

Crymych then hit back straight away with a penalty of their own after Rumney were caught offside at the breakdown. It was clear to see early on that both teams would need to take every chance they had as this game would be cut by very fine margins. 

20 minutes in saw the first controversial decision of the game, after being tackled in the air, Rumney’s Owen Jones retaliated and saw a yellow card for his push on his Crymych counterpart, which also resulted in the penalty being reversed and Crymych slot over the points for a 6-3 lead.  

Rumney dug in deep during the 10 minutes that followed and even scored the first try of the match. A driving maul from the lineout was touched down by Captain Lewis Hill and the conversion easily slotted over by Jake Hillman to take the scores to 10-6, with only seconds remaining on Owen Jones’ sin binning. But, in the nature of the game, Crymych came back and scored straight from the restart, which took the scores to 10-11. 

Before the first half was over both Rumney and Crymych converted penalties which resulted in the half time score to be 13-14 to Crymych. The second half started pretty much as the first half ended, with both teams having minor chances but not being clinical enough to turn the chances into points. Both teams were hitting hard, but, Rumney seemed to have the upper hand. After a few more chances went begging, Lewis Hill dived over the white line for his and Rumney’s second try, which was once again converted by Jake Hillman, leaving the scores at 20-14 to Rumney with just over half of the second half left to play. 

Once again, after silly mistakes by both teams more penalties were exchanged and with 10 minutes remaining Rumney were leading by 23-20. Due to Rumney having scored more tries in the game, Crymych needed another try to win the game, which saw them push towards the white line. But, Rumney’s defence was soon rewarded when the touch judge saw what appeared to be a high tackle and reversed the penalty in Rumney’s 22. With 5 minutes remaining Rumney were now camped in Crymych’s half with the luxury of a line out. Crymych then won the ball back and were awarded a penalty in the dying seconds. Due to the clock already turning red they had no choice but to run it from their own half. After a few phases and an extra 3 nervous minutes Rumney’s defence prevailed and they won the ball back and booted it off the pitch to claim the victory and also the spot in the final against Pontarddulais on April 8th 2017. 

You must register and login to comment.

Comments (0)