This week, I thought I'd rustle up a little salad that's packed with goodness and is perfect for a lunch, whether you're out and about or at a desk. Instead of nipping down the road to the nearby supermarket or Greggs for a meal deal, why not make this nutritious salad the night before and enjoy all the protein and value contained within? You'll feel better for it, I assure you.
This vegan (we're jumping on the band wagon for one week only) power protein salad has 30g of complete protein per serving, thanks to quinoa, kidney beans, chickpeas, and edamame. In actual fact, this is by no means only for our vegan friends. It's actually delicious, if I do say so myself, and a brilliant lunch time pick me up!
Check out the video below!
- 200g Raw Almonds
- 200g Mixed greens (slightly cooked)
- ½ cup Edamame
- ½ cup kidney beans, cooked
- ½ cup chickpeas, cooked
- ½ Red onion
- Chilli powder
- Smoked paprika
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Cooked quinoa
- 1 your favourite salad dress
- Start by toasting the almonds in a pan on medium-high heat.
- While the pan is heating, mix almonds, olive oil (just use enough olive oil to lightly coat the almonds), and spices in a bowl. Mix well until almonds are evenly coated with the oil and spices.
- Once pan is hot, add spiced almonds to the pan and sauté for 3-5 minutes, or until the almonds start to brown and become fragrant. Be sure to stir frequently so that the almonds don't burn. You may hear a popping noise - it's just the almonds cracking.
- Once almonds are done cooking, remove from the pan and let cool for a few minutes.
- Assemble your salad - toss mixed greens, quinoa, beans, with your favorite salad dressing. This salad is really versatile - feel free to sub quinoa with any other grain (like rice or wheatberries), or sub any type of hardy beans for the beans listed in the recipe.
- Sprinkle chopped red onions on top of salad to finish.
So simple but so effective; amazing nutritional value in this salad, and the combinations taste great too!