We're guessing you hadn’t thought of cooking squid for lunch before but as well as being real tasty, it is low in fat and extremely rich in protein. Perfect for a rugby player then!
Roast squid salad
- 800g fresh prepared squid
- Zest 3 limes (save the juice for the salad, and wedges for serving)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1½ tsp pink peppercorns
- For the salad
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 large mango, diced
- 1 large red chilli, finely sliced
- 400g can mixed beans
- 3 ripe avocados
- Small pack coriander
- Marinate the squid for at least 30 mins.
- First, slash the squid tubes all over at 5mm-1cm intervals on each side cutting right through. Put into a bowl with the lime, oil, garlic, zest and peppercorns.
- For the salad, toss the onion, mango and chilli with the lime juice, and a pinch of salt and leave for 10 mins. Add the beans to the bowl.
- Halve the avocado and take the stone out then loosen the meat from the flesh with a spoon, dice it into the salad bowl, then add plenty of seasoning.
- Season the squid with sea salt.
- Heat a pan and when slightly smoking add your squid and toss fast. You’re looking for it to shrink in size and get a slightly golden brown colour to the edges-it should take around 3-4mins, Toss the salad ingredients together with the juices from the squid pan , pile onto a few plates and top with the hot squid and coriander.
- Serve with a couple of lime wedges.
The nutrition is pretty good as well...
Kcalories - 374
protein - 26g
carbs - 21g
fat - 21g
saturates - 4g
fibre - 7g
sugar - 11g
salt - 0.4g