Royston RFC 0 - London Welsh 64

February 11, 2019

A strong wind blew down the length of the pitch on The Heath but the tricky conditions were mastered by an unstoppable London Welsh team in a ten try demolition of Royston.

The home side kicked off with the wind in their favour for the first half. Welsh looked to attack from the start and a series of good moves, and help from a poor clearance kick by Royston, quickly moved the visitors into the 22. Welsh attacked again and the final pass went to centre Rhys Howells for the first try. The wind took the conversion just wide of the posts.

Ten minutes had elapsed when Welsh added their second try of the game. A lineout from a penalty kick to touch saw the ball gathered and recycled well with good handling moving play across field for Tyron Pelasio to score in the corner. An excellent conversion by Jonathan Williams gave Welsh a 12-0 lead.

Royston’s task became a lot tougher when their captain Jon Brain was shown a red card for stamping leaving them with just 14 players with more than an hour to play. A quarter of the game had been completed when Welsh pace left Royston standing and Gareth Morgan completed the move for the third try. Jonathan Williams was successful with another difficult conversion from the corner.

Prop Marc Weir added the bonus point try on the half hour mark when he was on hand as Rory Noble was stopped just short of the line. Welsh brought the half to a close with one more converted try, this time a great pass from Rhodri Dawes putting Rhys Howells through for his second of the game. At half time London Welsh had a commanding 31-0 lead.

It didn’t take long for London Welsh to score their first try of the second half. Dominance in the scrum led Cai Griffiths, Head Coach and captain for the game, to opt for the set piece when awarded a penalty. The ball was released to the backs and went through the hands for Club Captain Lloyd Davies to score on his return to the 1st XV after injury. Jonathan Williams again converted.

The seventh try was scored before the midway point of the half. Marc Weir added his name to the score sheet again. Welsh took the Royston lineout against the head and when play was held up just short of the line the ball was popped up for the prop to take at full steam to complete the move. This was Weir’s fifth try of the season and edged him ahead in the race to become the highest scoring forward. Jonathan Williams’ conversion bounced off the upright to drop over the crossbar for two more points.

London Welsh started to make it look easy as another well worked move from the scrum puts Jonathan Williams in space for his first try and only a few minutes later Lloyd Davies charged through Royston’s defence for his second. Jonathan Williams added both conversions. The final score fell to fly half Rhodri DawesTyron Pelasio tapped back a loose Royston pass which was gathered by Dawes to run though Royston’s line for the tenth try of the game and a 64-0 win.

This impressive performance moves the 1st XV ten point clear at the top of the table with 72 league points. Datchworth sit in second place with only points difference keeping them ahead of Stevenage. Streetonians are a further six points behind.

Next Saturday we welcome Stevenage to Old Deer Park for yet another top of table encounter. Stevenage ran out worthy winners when the 1st XV travelled to their ground at the end of October and this could be another tough encounter. Kick off is a 2.30.

You must register and login to comment.

Comments (0)