Everyone loves a hearty breakfast on the weekend, mainly due to the fact we actually have time to make it. Now, I'm not for one second going to say that this is an extremely healthy breakfast but making little amendments to a fry-up can make it a whole lot healthier. Use 'proper' sausages with a very high meat content (venison), and poach your eggs to limit the amount of fried food you're consuming.
And finally, avoid using canned baked beans; here's a fantastic little recipe for making your own!
- 2 Tins of Cannellini Beans
- 2 Garlic Cloves, thinly chopped
- Smoked Paprika
- Tomato Puree
- Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Red Onion, finely chopped
- 150g Pancetta, or smoked streaky bacon
- 1 tbsp Dark Muscovado Sugar
Protein:15g - Calories 436 – Fat 7g
- In a pot, heat some olive oil and sweat off the onions and bacon over medium heat for 6 minutes. Throw in the chopped garlic, sugar, tomatoes, and the tinned beans with the water from the tin. Cook on medium heat until you have a thick sauce and tender beans.
- Once ready, serve the beans either on some toasted seeded bread or as part of a 'healthy' cooked breakfast:
- 2 Free Range Poached Eggs
- 2 Grilled Venison Sausages
- Cherry Tomatoes on the vine
- 2 Sliced Black Puddings, fried in a touch of olive oil
- Chestnut Mushrooms