Want a session that requires just 10 cones, the 22 metre box and the time and motivation to achieve huge fitness and firing rugby endurance? Set out 10 cones evenly around the 22-metre box to provide a circuit of stations.
Now to separate the men from the boys; try this basic circuit starting with 30 seconds work at each station with a killer twist…
- Wide press ups
- Star jumps
- Mountain climbers
- Jumping Lunges
- Wide stance squats
- Close grip press ups
- Alternate leg raises
Now for the killer part…
Between every station run 2 full laps of the circuit (around 22m area) working at 70-80% maximum effort.
There are plenty of ways to vary this session to adapt to fitness levels, time constraints and schedule. For example
- 30 seconds each station, followed by running one lap
- 1 minute per station, followed by one lap
- 1 minute at each station followed by 2 laps
- Complete circuit as describe x2
- Complete circuit 3 times, starting on first circuit with 2 laps, second circuit complete one lap then on last circuit just complete station exercises (no running between)
- Adapt effort % when running laps
Try this out, either as a coach into your sessions or as an individual player in between training days to increase stamina, strength, resilience, and speed.